Sunday, June 28, 2009

HR 1529 update

For those of you who have not yet joined our Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/support_of_hr1529/, I thought that you might be interested in what is going on and what we are up against.
One of our group, Jaime Woodard of We Deserve Our Lives Back, made a visit to Congressman Rangel’s New York office Monday, 06-22. Jaime reported that he pretty much got a cold shoulder/canned response from the person he talked with. He was informed that the person he needed to see was not available. Not to be deterred, Jaime made a second visit to the Congressman’s office yesterday.
The following is the result of that visit.
I went back to Rangel’s office in Harlem. (Tues 06-24) The welcome was warmer today from the receptionist but again the person I needed to speak to was not there. I gave her a copy of our petition signers and talked about the bill 's failure to pass and that no one was lobbying for it. I must say that the young lady, Renee Jones, that I spoke with at 163 West 125th Street, picked right up on the fact that the bill had no co-sponsors this time around. She assured me that someone would get back to me and I assured her that the more than 1000 people who have signed our petitions are ready to make this bill law. I also went to the National Action Network, which is in Harlem also. My welcome was a lot warmer I was allowed to leave information and spoke to the manager who said that Rev.Al Sharpton, President of the Network, was also working on getting the bill passed. I will give someone until Friday to respond then I'm going back to NY to do it again. Now that I know where their offices are I can and will frequent them.
Thanks to Jaime for taking this on. If there are any of you that are close enough to visit Congressman Rangel’s office I am sure Jaime would appreciate the support. A letter or e-mail or two to Rev. Sharpton offering encouragement couldn’t hurt either. http://www.nationalactionnetwork.net/
We are over 300 strong now on this petition alone and there are others that share our mission to pass this bill. Together we can win.
Thanks to all,
Thomas K

No comments:

Search This Blog