Thursday, September 24, 2009

Our HwH Update

So far things have been going pretty well. Yesterday was 1 week since Chance got to the Hwh. He has not been able to leave there yet. This hwh does not allow them to leave at all for the first 7 days but it is expected that he will be able to leave this weekend for 3-4 hours to get a haircut and go to Walmart ( the only store they can go to while out on an itinerary). They are given an itinerary not a pass, which means he has to go to the exact destination and come directly back. Once he is eligible for passes he will be able to go anywhere as long as he calls to check in periodically. They don't get any passes until they have employment. He has not been able to go out looking for a job yet because the he has 9 classes he has to complete before he can get an itinerary for job search. He has 5 classes done so hopefully the beginning of the week he can begin his job search. We get to visit every evening from 7-9 and he gets 2 visits on the weekend 2-4 and 7-9. I am only 14 miles from the Hwh so it works out perfect.I can bring any kind of clothes or food to him. He can have a small t.v, video games, dvd's, cd's and just about everything else except a laptop and cell phone. There are 8 payphones and they can even get incoming calls. The people there are really good about going to get the others if they have a phone call ( all I have to do is give his last name and room #). This experience so far has been far better than I thought it would be. After 4 years of dealing with the BoP, I never dreamed we would be able to have a some what normal relationship.

Ohhh, and how could I possibly forget. The case manager came out to the house yesterday. We have been approved for Chance to come here on all of his passes. I was so afraid that they wouldn't let him since he is not actually going to reside here ( because of the daycare). BUT the case manager seems awesome. She said " even though he hasn't obtained employment, I don't want to waste time in getting out to your house because I may get busy and then he won't be able to come to your house until I find time to make the home visit." SO that went over great with me, because I want him here as soon as possible. So pray for us that Chance is able to find a job right away, then next will be the apartment search.

I hope and pray that everyone and their loved ones are doing well.

Melanie & Chance

4 comments:

leeann1963 said...

It sounds like it is going well for you guys! Mike's PO apporved him for home passes and HC two weeks ago. He has had two weekend passes home and was told tonight that he will not get HC since he is now under 30 days. :( That means that he won't be home until October 16th. He gave me permission to call his PO in the morning to see what he says. The staff at this HWH is about as lazy as they come, they must have all been CO's at some point.

ksolivio said...

Oh Melanie I am so happy for you guys. I will lpass the word to Sam how things are going.

Melanie said...

Leeann,
LoL @ they must have all been co's at one point...that just sucks that he has to wait until Oct.16th but it's close so tell him to just hang in there.

Kim,
Thanks! Tell my Uncle Sam I said hello. Hope you are all are doing well. How is the school year going for ya? I miss chatting with ya, just been sooo busy. I'll have to let you know when I come up to visit my family over the holidays so we can maybe get together. Take care!

Debbie said...

Finally I can comment...anyway..I am so happy things are going so great for your guys..Thank you both for helping our journey be more bearable!! (Hugs) to you both!!!!!!

ps>>>seen any dinosaurs lately????

Search This Blog