Sunday, August 30, 2009

Returning to life after prison

Well I have promised you guys an update. Well, this phase is not as easy as we all invision. I have ran our house for the past 17 months. It is my house. It is ran by my rules. It is run on my schedule. Mike remembers the house he left and the family he left. He left 1st, 4th, and 11th graders. He came home to 3rd and 6th graders, and a young man preparing to leave to serve our country. He was the man of the house, and he will return to that role. It just doesn't happen when they walk out of the facility like we invision. It takes a lot of communication, which is the one skill we developed while he was in Morgantown. You have to be honest with what you are feeling and look at why when he opens the shed and is in shock because it isn't the way he left it. You have to talk about those feelings of his shock and your feelings of his intrusion into what is now your shed. When he asks why is my drill moved, that's not where I left it? It's okay that you needed to repair something and used his tools. But just like we feel that he is intruding on our space; he feels that we did not respect his space while he was gone. He was the man of the house. I can't wait till he returns to that role 100 percent. It does not happen just because he pulls in the driveway. It is going to take a lot of work and strong communication by all of us. With love, faith, and support of friends and family it will happen.

No comments:

Search This Blog